Pictures from Pat Meiere's Life
Pat was pretty right from the beginning.
Young Pat Pat-1942
Young Pat Pat in 1942
Pat started Nursing Training at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh.
Carnegie Tech, where she met Forrest, was just down the street.
Pat As Nurse Pat At ATO
Pat in Nursing Training. Pat visits ATO Fraternity.
This led to a whirlwind romance with Forrest and a move to Boston where Forrest went to MIT.
Pat's Wedding Pat in Boston
Cutting the Wedding Cake. Pat in Boston. Brave enough to go Ice Skating
Motherhood was important to Pat. Next move was to Indiana.
Pat As Mother Pat in West Lafayette
Pat's first shot at Motherhood. Pat in West Lafayette (Purdue).
Next stop was Indianapolis where she returned to Nursing.
PatJoking Pat IU Nursing Degree St. Vincent Hospital
Just Joking Pat's Nursing Degree from IU Section of St. Vincent Hospital where Pat worked.

Two of Pat's interests were Art and Music, both of which she passed on to Keith.
Pat Quilt Pat At Piano
Keith's favorite Quilt made by Pat (One of Many). Pat at Piano.

Pat's last stop was Heritage Plantation.
Pat designed our house with a CAD-CAM program and the builder used her file exactly.


There she found a whole new set of "Old Friends". Unfortunately not enough room to show even some of them.
El & Pat Pat as a Hippie
Pat (right) & El (left) on our Boat Pat loved her house

Here is some background information.

Pat was born in Connellsville, PA and studied nursing at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh and Indiana University School of Nursing. She is a member of the President’s Circle of Indiana University. Pat was an Operating Room Nurse at St. Vincent Hospital, the second largest one in Indianapolis, for 27 years. Many times she represented the hospital at national meetings of the American Association of Operating Room Nurses and twice served as President of its local chapter. In that capacity she organized a research symposium attended by nurses across Indiana.

At one point, Pat realized that there were no Board Certified OR nurses. She expressed an interest and inquired as to how one became certified. No one knew. She used her national contacts to discover the procedure and followed it on her own. Pat became the first Board Certified OR Nurse at St. Vincent Hospital and mentored a number of younger nurses so that at her retirement, the hospital had seven Board Certified OR Nurses.

Pat left her mark on the hospital early on. When we moved to Indianapolis Pat decided she wanted to work at St. Vincent’s Hospital. It was a prestigious hospital and it was close to our home. She showed up in Surgery and said “I want to work here.” The Head Nurse looked at her resume and said “We would love to have you. Right now, there is a hiring freeze which is particularly unfortunate because an orientation program for new OR nurses starts Monday. It would be great for you to be there but we can’t hire you.” Pat said, “OK, how about if I start the orientation program and work for free until a position opens.” They said OK and Pat did just that. After orientation she started a regular shift with no pay.

After about a week, Pat noticed that the room used for Cataract Surgery was a real problem. This was before lasers and at that time surgery was done with ultra-sound. The equipment was touchy and there were always problems. The nurses were terrified of that room and the Head Nurse had to assign a different nurse to that room every day. The doctors were unhappy and complained a lot to the Head of Surgery. Pat realized that the main problem was that there was a different nurse every day who dreaded the assignment and didn’t have time to learn how to fix the problems. She volunteered to take the Cataract Surgery Room every day. The Head Nurse was greatly relieved and the other nurses loved Pat because this meant they didn’t have to take their turn in the “Room from Hell”. Not surprisingly, there were problems the first few days but Pat carefully noted what they were. We discussed them at home. I knew nothing about surgery but a lot about ultra-sound so I helped out there. Mostly however, when a problem arose, Pat remembered it from before and was ready for it. By the end of the first week, things ran smoothly. The Head of Surgery came to the Head Nurse and asked “What did you do with the Cataract Surgery Room? The doctors were always complaining and now they congratulate me on solving the problem.” The Head Nurse said, “I wasn’t me. We have a new nurse, Pat Meiere, who took over the room and fixed the problems.” The Head of Surgery said “I don’t know that name. Who is she?” The Head Nurse said “Oh, she is not on the payroll. She is working for free until a position opens.” The Head of Surgery almost fainted. I now know what he was thinking. If something happens and the lawyers find out that the nurse in charge wasn’t even an employee, I am dead meat. The next day, Pat was on the payroll as a full time employee. That was the start of Pat’s reputation in Surgery.

She waited a year for her next bombshell. Surgery pretty much lives and dies by their schedule. As you can imagine, with surgeons lined up for surgery in “God knows” how many rooms which have to be prepared with an anesthesiologist, charge nurse and technician, the schedule has to be on time and correct. This was in the ‘70s and Surgery was using dot matrix printers with that awful paper with holes in the edges. At home, Pat had a laser printer which printed on glossy bond paper. She took home one of the surgery schedules, printed it and brought it to work. She showed it to the Head Nurse and said we should do this. The Head Nurse said, let’s try it so Pat brought in her laser printer and set it up next to the dot matrix printers. For the next few days, everyone got 2 copies of the Surgery Schedule, one printed as before and one printed on the laser printer. Everyone started lobbying for the laser printer version. Over the next weekend, Tech Support setup laser printers at every station and Surgery joined the modern world. Pat’s reputation gained another notch.

Toward the end of her career, Surgery was told to downsize and offered a nice bonus to anyone taking early retirement. We discussed it and Pat applied. She was told “You are essential personnel and we don’t want you to retire. You can’t get the bonus." Pat negotiated and received a promise to get the bonus when she retired later. The hospital come through on that promise!